One of the perplexing issues facing Christians today is whether God wants us to be rich or poor. I am not in that school of confusion because even as a little boy, I realized that money made everything better and easy. I needed money from my dad to buy books, biscuits and every other thing. My dad would annoyingly ask “this boy do you think money grows on trees?” whenever I asked for money to get new football whenever the barb wire around our house burst our ball.
I wanted to be able to make my own money and buy as many soccer balls and Shortbread (my favorite biscuit as a kid even till now..lol) as I wanted. The sooner the better.
Money is good!!!!!
Then as a teenager I heard people say that money is the root of all evil while quoting 1 Timothy 6:10.
Is having money evil?
A better understanding of that same scripture showed me that it’s the love of money, the obsession with money, the worship of money that is the root of all evil not money itself.
MONEY IS GOOD!!!!!!
Does God want us be rich though?
The Bible gives us an emphatic YES in 3 John 2 “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.”
So God wants me to be rich!!!! Wow!!!!!
So how do we make this money? Going deeper into the Word of God, I discovered the secret to making money in Deuteronomy 8:18 “But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is He that giveth thee power to get wealth..”
So God wants us to be rich and He can make us rich but why does He want us to be rich?
1. He is a rich God. Psalms 24:1 makes us understand that the Earth is the Lord’s and everything in it including crude oil (petrol, gas, kerosene), diamonds, gold, money (Dollars, Pounds, Naira and your local currency), cars (yes, cars….). Everything belongs to God and He gives generously to those who ask (James 1:5).
2. He wants to bless you because you are created in His image and since you are His child and He is a rich God, His riches belongs to you (Genesis 1:26, Psalms 35:27, Psalms 84:11 and Psalms 115:14).
3. He wants you blessed financially so you can finance the gospel because God will never give you something unless He expects you to use it (Deutronomy 8:18 and 2 Corinthians 8:9).
4. He wants you to honour Him through your financial success (Proverbs 3:9-10).
5. He wants you to be a consistent tither and give to fund His ministry on Earth through your local church and ministry outreaches (Malachi 3:10).
6. He wants you to care for the poor, widows, orphans and the helpless (Proverbs 19:17, James 1:27 and Exodus 22:22-24)
7. He wants you to be the head and not the tail. In the words of Bishop David Oyedepo “When I found out in Psalms 22:7 that the rich rule over the poor and the borrower is a slave to the lender, I vowed never to be poor or borrow”.
God wants you to be rich and prosperous. A giver not a taker. A lender not a borrower. The head and not the tail but seek first the kingdom of God (preach the gospel, tell people about Jesus, help the poor, make someone smile) and His righteousness, and all these things (money inclusive) shall be added to you.
This article alone has made me richer. Now go and get rich.
God bless you…..
1. 7 Reasons God Wants You To Prosper by Harold Herring. Click HERE to read.
2. Does God Want You to Be Rich…or Poor? by
Hugh Whelchel. Click HERE to read.