As we begin this new year, let’s make it our priority to humble ourselves before the Lord in corporate prayer and fasting. This allows us to remove the noise and distraction that so easily drowns out God’s voice and leading in our lives. Isaiah 58:6 “Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burden and to let the oppressed go free and to break every yoke?”
Deep prayer leads to repentance and a heart that is singularly focused on pleasing and serving God. Extended fasting humbles our flesh and reveals the things we are enslaved to and distracted by.
James 4.7-10 “So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor” (NLT).
Most churches begin the year with a lengthy fast.
1. Living Faith Church aka Winner’s Chapel commences their 21 day prayer and fasting 9th (Monday) January and ends 29th (Sunday) January, 2017. Click HERE to view the Winner’s Chapel’s epistle for the Prayer and Fasting.
2. Redeemed Christian Church of God undertake their 40 day prayer and fasting from 11th January (Wednesday) to February 19th (Sunday). Download RCCG guidelines for the Prayer and Fasting HERE.
3. Salvation Ministries start their 21 day prayer and fasting on the 2nd (Monday) and end 22nd (Sunday) January 2017.
4. Dominion City commences their 21 day prayer and fasting 9th (Monday) January and ends 29th (Sunday) January, 2017.
Other churches have their own duration just as a guide but individually, you could draft a period for yourself to fast and pray earnestly for a change of story.
Remember, fasting is a natural discipline that can bring supernatural results.
The Bible is filled with people that prayed and fasted………
Moses (Exodus 34:28)
Elijah (1 Kings 19:8)
Esther (Esther 4:6)
Ezra (Ezra 8:21)
David (2 Samuel 12:16)
Daniel (Daniel 9:3-5)
Nehemiah (Nehemiah 1:4)
Paul (Acts 14:23)
Samuel (1 Samuel 7:6)
even Jesus (Matthew 4:2)…fasted .
The best way to humble ourselves is to combine deep prayer with extended fasting.
We accomplish this in multiple ways:
1. Fasting Food: A major part of this spiritual activity is fasting from food. By not eating we allow our physical hunger to reveal our spiritual need for Jesus, who is the Bread of Life. It is advisable to fast from 12am till 6pm (3pm if you cant make 6pm) and break with the communion.
2. The Off Button: Watching TV and movies, surfing the web, chatting on social media should be to the barest minimum. By doing this we give new room and focus to the leading of God in our lives.
3. Deep Prayer and Repentance: By giving time to prayer and listening, God will do the deep heart surgery required to bring lasting change and renewed focus.
4. Extended Reading and Study of the Bible: Taking in large amounts of God’s word bring faith and a deeper awareness of God’s working in and through our daily lives.
God bless you……..