Condom simply put is a thin rubber sheath worn on a man’s penis during sexual intercourse as a contraceptive or a protection against infection. It is rolled onto an erect penis before intercourse and physically blocks ejaculated semen from entering the body of the female and also prevents STDs from entering from one partner to another. A female condom called femidom is also available but not as readily available as the male condom.
It is worn internally by the female partner and provides a physical barrier to prevent exposure to ejaculated semen or other body fluids.
Condoms in general are part of the ABC culture of sex which involves:
B: Being faithful
C: Condom usage.
Most teenagers know about condoms, how they work and would have probably used them but what are the benefits of condom usage?
1. To prevent sexually transmitted diseases like HIV, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Trichomoniasis, Herpes, Syphillis, Chancriod and many others.
2. To avoid other infections like toilet infection (vaginitis). This is a type of infection caused by a change or imbalance in the types of the bacteria normally found in the vagina and causes an overgrowth of organisms such as gardnerella vaginalis or yeast infection (candidiasis). Symptoms might include: itching, whitish grey vaginal discharge, painful intercourse, rash etc. It is usually caused by vaginal douching, next sexual partner or multiple sexual partners. It is not caused by use of a toilet or swimming pools.
3. To give you rest of mind. When a man ejaculates into a woman during sex, both parties don’t usually have rest of mind until she sees her period. When the devil now wants to punish them, the period could come days late making her lose sleep over what would have been prevented in the first place.
4. Avoids birth control problems. Contraceptives only help in avoiding pregnancy but leave you exposed to STDs. Due to the fact that they are hormonal contraceptives, they have a way of shaking up your monthly cycle. Some women have experienced shorter or longer periods while others have had a period in 40 days instead of the usual 28 days. Avoid stories that touch, use a condom.
4. To avoid pregnancy. The most obvious reason for condom usage is to avoid pregnancy. Simple.
5. To last longer in bed. This is the most underrated use of condoms. I remember when a married friend told me of the inability of her husband to last longer than 2 minutes in bed. The simplest advice I gave her was to introduce flavored condoms into their sex life. The result was that he lasted far longer in bed. The reason is not far fetched, the condom helps avoid direct contact between the penis and the surroundings of the vagina which helps the man last longer because it isn’t as sexually satisfactory as skin to skin.
There you have it, some reasons to use a condom.
1. Get a condom that fits (don’t use a big condom for a small penis or a small condom for a big penis).
2. Never use two condoms at the same time. It’s safer to use one that two because friction between both condoms could cause them to break.
3. Always check the condom during sex and adjust. Before ejaculation, check to see if the condom is still rightly placed before letting it all out.
4. Don’t be in a hurry. Make sure you wear it right.
5. It’s no secret that skin to skin is sweeter but its too risky. Leave skin to skin to the married folks, if single, use a condom.
6. Love is no excuse to not use a condom. You might be committed and faithful but your partner might not be. Use a condom even when in love.
7. Remember, “AIDS no dey show for face”. She’s pretty and looks clean doesn’t mean she’s clean internally. He’s handsome and looks polished doesn’t mean he’s not using his charm to sleep with the whole street. Ladies remember to ask “where is your condom?” before opening up.
8. Never reuse a condom. As soon as it slips out of the penis, discard and use a new one.
9. Don’t throw used condoms into the bin or keep them lieing around. Tie the open end to avoid semen sipping out and flush down the toilet.
10. Finally, abstinence is and will forever be the best. If unmarried, abstain, you won’t die.