1. He loves you more than you can ever comprehend: I have often heard people say things like “my sins are probably too big for God to forgive me” or “The things I am going through, I think God has forgotten me”. Let me break it down for you, God gave up His only son (Jesus) to die for you (yes you). So why will He forsake you in your troubled times? God has never and will never forsake you. Even in your trials and tribulations, He is there in your midst. Remember Psalms 23:4 says “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for You are with me”. That passage clearly states that you will pass through the valley of shadow of death not may pass through the valley of shadow of death. But one definite thing is that He is there with you. Don’t be afraid.
2. God does not kill people, the devil does: There is this popular notion that “God gives and God takes”. That’s a notion implanted in the minds of people by the devil through the mouth of Job in Job 1:21. That passage is often misunderstood as meaning God gives children and takes them prematurely when He wants them in Heaven. God is light and death is darkness. Can light and darkness mingle? NO! The same God that said “The thief (devil) cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I (God) am come that they might have life, and that they might have it in abundance” (John 10:10). The same God that said “The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death.” (Proverbs 14:27). The very same God that also said “Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, you will fear no evil, for I am with me; My rod and My staff will comfort you.” (Psalm 23:4). This is the same God that will take (terminate our lives on earth) His children. The same Children that He sent His only son to die for? God does not take people, the devil kills people.
3. There is no sin too big for God to forgive: To tell you the truth, one of the most annoying things about God is His readiness to forgive even the greatest and most evil sins. For example, if the leader of Boko Haram, the evil sect that has killed thousands of people happens to give his life sincerely to Christ on his death bed, God will forgive him and he will go to Heaven when he dies. Imagine? That
bastard man will go to Heaven if he gives his life to Christ. You know why? Jesus Christ died for him as he died for you and me. So what’s that sin of yours that has weighed you down for so long? Malice? Abortion? Adultery? Murder? Combined, they are too small for God not to forgive you. Go to Him with a sincere heart and He will forgive you over and over again.
4. God does not keep record of wrongs: Human beings are like record keeping machines. They forgive but actually no one ever forgets. When that friend’s cup if finally full as Nigerian’s would say, you will hear things like “you have been doing this same thing and I have forgiven you but now I can’t take it anymore”. You know the amazing thing about God? He forgives and forgets. God doesn’t keep a record of your sins because according to Him, it never even happened. For old things have passed away and all things have become new. The devil has a way of reminding you of your past, the devil will be like “now you are claiming a good wife, remember when you aborted twice and when you slept with your husband’s cousin”. In God’s World, as long as you asked for forgiveness, you never even committed those sins.
5. God doesn’t punish you for sinning: This is the most ludicrous accusation ever made of God. God gave His only son to die for your sin and thats the same God that will punish you for the same sin He gave up His only son to die for? The devil and his tricks. Let me explain this to you the best way I can (I hope the Holy Spirit explains it to you better). Jesus came to die for the sins you committed in the past, the present sins you are committing and future sins that you are yet to commit. That means even the sins you are yet to commit, He died for them all. Why then will He punish you for the sin He already died for. When you sin, ask for forgiveness and His Grace will cover you but when you sin and don’t come back to Him, you leave your self open to the attacks of the devil.
6. God wants us to be rich: There has been this long standing view by some Christians that God doesn’t want us to be rich because according to them the Bible says in 1 Timothy 6:10 “For the love of money is the root of all evil” and Mark 10:25 “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” It is a travesty of all ramifications for misguided people to misconstrue God’s Word to mean that wealth is evil and poverty is the right way of living. The same Bible that said in Ecclesiastes 10:19 that “…money answereth all things.”? The same Bible that said in Psalms 112: 1-3 that “Blessed are those that fear the Lord…for wealth and riches shall abide in their house”? Let me ask you a question that would shock you. Are you aware that Jesus Christ while on earth was a wealthy man? Let’s go back to the scriptures, in Mark 1:17, Jesus told the disciples to follow Him and verse 18 says “At once they left their nets and followed Him”. Confirming this part of the scripture, Peter said in Matthew 19:27 “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”. How therefore would 13 able bodied men including Jesus eat, dress up, travel without money? To back this point of view up, in Luke 9: 10-17 before Jesus fed the five thousand, he told the disciples in verse 13 “You give them something to eat.” and they replied “We have no more than five loaves and two fish—unless we are to go and buy food for all these people.” How can they consider buying food for five thousand men minus women and children (which could be as much as fifteen thousand people) if they were broke and without money? Jesus and his disciples were rich hence they could go about preaching the Word of God without financial constraint. Now we have established that Jesus was rich while on Earth, why then would god not want us rich? The same God that said in 1 Corinthians 10:26 that “The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.” The fullness includes money, cars, private jets, yachts etc. The devil wants you poor, God wants you rich, don’t be deceived.
7. God loves sex: It seems sex is one of the most forbidden topics ever. A topic that only evil minds discuss (according to some pretenders). Someone once told me that sex should only be discussed by married folks and I was stunned. People tend to forget that God loves sex. Although sex was designed by God for procreation, He also created sex for sexual gratification. Where the World gets sex wrong is the context of practice. Sex should be done within the confines of marriage, no exceptions. God loves sex. Sex is not an abomination. If sex were, how come all animals have sex? God implanted the ideology of sex in every animal He created. No animal goes to a special school to learn how to have sex, they are born with it. No matter how much a couple prays for a child, if they don’t have sex, the child will never come. Only Jesus came without sexual intercourse. Your pastor’s parents had sex before he/she was born. As a matter of fact, your pastor and their spouse might just have had sex before he preached to you on Sunday. So why the hypocrisy and secrecy behind sex, even between married couples. God loves sex.
8. No human is born by mistake: The stand Catholics take concerning abortion is that no matter how sperm fertilizes an egg (whether through rape, adultery or even incest), it’s still a human being and should not be aborted. My stand on abortion isn’t that strong but according to God, no child is ever born by mistake. Every child has a purpose on earth. Every child/human has a special gifting. Everyone is on Earth for a purpose. Jeremiah 1: 5 says “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart”. So before your parents even had sex, God knew you would be born and He already set you apart from others. You are the most unique “you” in the world, so why copy someone else?
9. Worry belittles God: It’s only human to worry. We worry about the most mundane things. We worry about things that will never happen. We worry about what we will eat. We worry about what we will wear. We worry about our jobs. We worry about money. We worry about school. We worry about our children. We worry about our parents. We worry as if worry would change anything. worry just makes you restless and often makes things worst. Let’s take a look at Matthew 6:25-33 which says:
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own”.
To put this in an understandable context, let’s imagine you are married and your wife tells you she wants a car. You promise to get her a car as soon as you can. But she keeps pestering you that she needs the car now but you keep reassuring her of the promise you made. She becomes restless with worry for the car and goes to meet her boss at work who gets her the car with the snap of his fingers. She drives it into the house and tells you that she couldn’t wait anymore for you to get the car and ended up getting it from her boss. How would you feel as a man? Immasculated? Upset? Betrayed? Wronged? Foolish? Hurt?
If only God were human, that’s how you will make Him feel when He promises you something and you can’t trust Him enough to get it for you.
10. God doesn’t need you for anything: Remember this every day of your life. God doesn’t owe you anything. God doesn’t need you for anything but you need Him for everything (Bishop David Oyedepo). People have this mindset that giving their offering or tithe in church is doing God a favour. He gave you all that money in the first place so what’s the fuss about? “The earth is the LORD’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.” (Psalms 24:1). All the money, all the women, all the cars, all the jets/planes/cruise ships are His, so how do you want to bribe God? The only thing you can give God that He can’t give Himself is praise and worship.
Note: Numbers 2 and 5 were taken verbatim from: “7 Things That Death Teach Us”
Further Reading: 10 Things You Might Know About The Devil