There is something special, powerful and divine about the number 7. My favorite number is 7, not only because my country Nigeria has 7 characters in it or because my real first name has 7 characters and my surname also has 7 characters. Either is it because I was born on the 7th month of the year (July) or the 7th day of the week (Saturday). I grew up just adoring the number 7 and decided to look further into its significance and came up with the following facts.
Seven is the number of completeness and perfection (both physical and spiritual). It derives much of its meaning from tied directly to God’s creation of all things. Seven is the also perfect number and the symbol of the divine abundance.
IN THE BIBLE:
* God made the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th day (Genesis 2:2).
* The number seven is the most used number in the Bible with over 500 mentions.
* The number seven is often used in the Revelation: the seven golden lamp-stands (Rev 1:12-20), the mystery of the seven stars (Rev 1:16-20), the seven seals (Rev 7&8), the seven letters addressed to the seven churches (Rev 2&3), the seven trumpets (Rev 8:6 & 11:15), the seven thunders (Rev 10:3-4), the seven kings (Rev 17:9), the seven heads of the beast (Rev 13:1), the seven plagues of the seven bowls (Rev 15:5).
* The seven words of Jesus pronounced on the cross:
- 1. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (Matt 27:46)
- 2. In truth, I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise – to the good thief (Luke 23:43)
- 3. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit (Luke 23:46)
- 4. Father, forgive them: they do not know what they are doing (Luke 23:34)
- 5. Woman, this is your son, (to John): This is your mother (John 19:26)
- 6. I am thirsty (John 19:28)
- 7. It is fulfilled (John 19:30)
* The seven requests in the prayer of “Our Father” (Matthew 6:9-13).
* In Psalms, it is written: “Seven times a day I praise you for your upright judgments” (Psalms 119:164).
* Pharoah dreamt of seven plump cows and seven thin cows and Joseph interpreted it to mean seven years of plenty and seven years of famine (Genesis 41:1-36).
* Joseph remained in prison seven years when he was falsely accused to have slept with the woman of his master.
* In the Book of Proverbs 6:16-19, among the verses associated with King Solomon, it states that the Lord specifically regards “seven things that are an abomination unto Him”, namely:
- 1. A proud look
- 2. A lying tongue
- 3. Hands that shed innocent blood
- 4. A heart that devices wicked plots
- 5. Feet that are swift to run into mischief
- 6. A deceitful witness that uttereth lies
- 7. Him that soweth discord among brethren.
* There are 7 days in a week.
* The number seven regulates the life of the man: after 7 months of gestation the foetus is viable. Seven marks the periods of the life: the first childhood until 7 years which is the age of reason; to 7 x 2 years, end of childhood; to 7 x 3 years, end of adolescence; 7 x 4 years, youth; to 7 x 5 years, adult age.
* The seven regulates the rhythm of development of the woman: at 7 month appearance of the baby teeth which will be lost at 7 years old; at 7 x 2 years, appearance of the menstruation and to 7 x 7 years is the menopause.
* There are seven deadly sins including:
- 1. Gluttony (love for food).
- 2. Greed (excessive desire for material things).
- 3. Sloth (physical and spiritual laziness).
- 4. Wrath (uncontrolled feelings of hatred and anger).
- 5. Envy (insatiable desire and jealousy).
- 6. Lust (intense desire for money, food, sex etc).
- 7. Pride (believing that one is essentially better than others).
* The new seven wonders of the World:
- 1. Great wall of China
- 2. Petra
- 3. Christ the Redeemer
- 4. Machu Picchu
- 5. Chicken Itza
- 6. Colosseum
- 7. Taj Mahal
* A poll conducted by British mathematician, Alex Bellos revealed the world’s favourite number to be 7.
* If we consider only the numbers between 1 and 10, the basic number grouping, 7 is the only number that cannot be multiplied or divided within the group.
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 can be doubled.
- 6, 8 and 10 can be halved
- 9 divides by 3
- 7 is left on its own.
7 is indeed a very lucky number and I bet you something unique is going to happen this week especially at the soccer World cup that brings this number into limelight. Its either 7 goals are scored in the remaining 4 World cup matches left, or someone with the number 7 wins the World Cup for his team, or someone becomes highest goalscorer with 7 goals in the world tournament or a team scores 7 goals in one match or both teams score 7 goals in the same match. Something will resonate 7 this week, that’s for sure.
We’re in the seventh month of the year and I wish you a month of perfection.
Alexs Adventures in Numberland; The Guardian
Properties of the number 7; http://www.RidingTheBeast.com
Meaning of numbers in the Bible; http://www.biblestudy.org