It seems we have made fear a part of our way of living. We are always afraid of one thing or the other. In dealing with this paralyzing force called fear, we discussed three steps to dealing with fear by our personal efforts which includes; facing the truth, eliminating negativity and affectionately loving yourself. If you missed the first part, read 4 Steps To Dealing With Fear (The ‘Me’ Part).
For the final step to dealing with fear, we are going to be asking our maker (God) to ascertain His take on fear and how we could overcome it.
R — Reach-out To God: If a product has a problem, the best person in place to repair that product is the manufacturer. If your ipad is faulty then Apple Inc. should be the most efficient company to repair it. After God created man He said in Genesis 1:28 ‘Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.’ He never said be afraid of it, He specifically said ‘subdue it’.
Fear was induced into us by either life, experiences, or just personal choices, so the best way to remove such forms of fear is contacting our manufacturer (God).
2 Timothy 1:7 says “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”
The most fail proof way of dealing with fear is by reaching out to your creator and the creator of the Universe.
God is big, strong and caring enough to carry our fears, burdens and worries because He said in 1 Peter 5:7 “Casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you.”
He said in Isaiah 43:1 “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.” He also affirmed in Isaiah 41:13 that we should “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
What does the Bible say about most of our fears –»
If you are afraid of fear itself then remember Psalms 34:4 says “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”
For those afraid of tomorrow and the future in general, remember Matthew 6:34 says “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
If you are afraid of those that fight you then remember Exodus 14:14 which says “The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”
If you are afraid of man, or your landlord who threatened you or the witch in your village who accused you then remember:
1) Psalm 118:6 “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? Nothing”.
2) Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
If you are afraid of death then remember:
1) Proverbs 14:27 “The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death.”
2) Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
For those afraid of Boko Haram remember:
1) Isaiah 35:4 “Say to those who have an anxious heart, Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.”
2) Joshua 1:9 ” Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
3) Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them (Boko Haram), for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
4) John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”
If you are afraid of armed robbers or hired killers or terrorism then remember:
1) Acts 18:9-10 “Do not be afraid, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.”
2) Psalms 23:5 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
3) Psalms 121:3-8 “He will not let your foot slip, he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you, the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm, he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.”
4) Psalm 91:1-16 “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day”.
5) Isaiah 43:5 “Do not be afraid, for I am with you”.
6) Deuteronomy 1:29 “Do not be in dread or afraid of them. The Lord your God who goes before you will himself fight for you, just as he did for you in Egypt before your eyes.”
7) Psalm 27:1-3 “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.”
If you are afraid of what you will eat or wear then remember Matthew 6:25 says “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?”
If your afraid of failing in life or in your exams then remember:
1) Deuteronomy 28:13 “The Lord will make you the head and not the tail.”
2) Daniel 1:20 “The King found them ten times better than their peers.”
3) Daniel 2:22,28-29 “God revealeth the deep and secret things (concerning life or examinations).”
4) 1 Corinthians 2:16 “Those with the mind of God will receive instructions.”
5) 2 Timothy 1:7 “God has given us the power of a sound mind.”
6) Ephesians 1:17 “God will give us the Spirit of Wisdom.”
If your afraid of sickness then remember:
1) Exodus 23:25 “Serve the lord and He will take away sickness from thee”
2) 3 John 1:2 “I wish above all things that thou mayest proper and be in health”
3) Proverbs 53:5 “By His stripes we are healed”
4) Matthew 8:17 “Himself bore our infirmities and took our sickness”
5) Psalms 103:3 “Bless the Lord who heals all your diseases”
If your afraid of your past sins and all the bad things you have done then remember Psalms 103:3 “Bless the Lord who forgives all your sins.”
If you afraid of loneliness, remember God said in Hebrews 13:5 “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
If you fear that there is no man to help you get a job or help with something important to you then read Psalms 121:1-2 which says “I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”
If you are afraid of circumstances and situations, trials and tribulations then read Isaiah 43:2-5 which says “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life. Fear not, for I am with you”
If your afraid of sleeping and not waking up remember Psalms 3:5 says “I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.”
If you are afraid of your enemies or people that dislike you, or haters or people plotting evil against you, remember:
1) Psalms 23:6 “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.”
2) Isaiah 54:17 “No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall confute every tongue that rises against you in judgment.”
3) Luke 10:19 “Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.”
God said in Psalms 56:3 that you should not be afraid but put your trust in Him. He also said in Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”
A wise man once said that FEAR has two meanings; Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise. The choice is yours. Let’s use these steps abbreviated as F.E.A.R to tackle our fears and overcome them.
I’ll like to appreciate my drama unit members in David’s Christian Center fondly known as “Soul Impact” for some of the Bible verses in this article.